There is nothing quite like a hearty oxtail and red win potjie, full of flavour after being slow cooked.
- 500gfresh oxtails
- 1/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt, pepper and aromat
- 1 litre beef stock
- 120g tomato paste
- 4 large leeks, chopped coarsely
- 3 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 6 large carrots diced
- 20 button mushrooms sliced in half
- 250ml red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Put seasoned flour in a resealable plastic bag, then add the Oxtail and shake to coat with flour.
- Heat the olive oil in the potjie and fry the oxtail pieces until browned on outside.
- Once the oxtail is browned, removed it from the potjie and set aside.
- Add the 4 finely diced carrots to the pot together with the chopped onions and the leeks, and sautée until softened.
- Return the oxtail to the pot and add the garlic, tomato paste, beef stock and red wine.
- Bring slowly to the boil then cover with with a lid and allow to cook for 4 – 6 hours.
- Check it every now and then and give a slight mix if you feel its required
- One hour before serving, add the remaining carrots and the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking slowly
- If you want to thicken the sauce make about a 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of corn flour mixed in 3/4 cup of water (mix well) then add to the potjie sauce and stir now and then to thicken.
Serve hot with rice , mielie pap or samp.