Now it’s time to think about all the things you have to do before you reach the big day where you board your flight for your exciting journey to the United Kingdom. Here is a helpful checklist to help make it that little bit easier for you.
Preparing everything to move from South Africa to the United Kingdom involves quite a bit of preparation,and if you don’t plan in advance, you may have many difficulties when you arrive.
It is important that you get the timing right when planning your move to the United Kingdom. Make sure that you consider everything you have to do well in advance and make sure you are aware of all the deadlines.
In this helpful checklist We have tried to cover as much as possible, but there may still be a few of your own extra things that you want to add to the list.
So look through this helpful checklist, and add anything else you feel you need to add, then tick off as you work through it.
You may even want to keep that checklist as a memento of your journey, something to look back on in a few year’s time.
- Cellphone contract
- Cancel your TV licence
- Security company
- Store cards
- Household insurance
- Landline and internet
- Unwanted bank accounts
- Medical aid
Arrangements that you may need to make
- Travel insurance
- Quotations for any internal removals
- Shipment quote
- If you are relocating your pet, check quarantine and vaccination requirements in your new country
- Arrange pet transportation
- Any temporary car hire required
- Check if your driving licence is valid in your new country. If not, find out about international driving licenses and apply for one
- Secure accommodation for your arrival in the United Kingdom
- Have a garage sale or sell anything you are not taking with you, or you could donate to a charity
I must remember to
- Review policies eg: Retirement annuities, life insurance, and decide what to do -keep, cash in, close.
- Update your will and leave copies with reliable friend/family member/lawyer
- Appoint power of attorney where necessary
- Notify your SA bank you are moving to the UK and will be possibly using your SA bank cards
- If selling your house, give bank notice for any bond closures
- If renting, give sufficient notice to the landlord
- Sell household contents not being taken with you, or donate to charity.
- Sell cars.
- Arrange postal direction
- Shred surplus personal records
- Pay outstanding traffic fines
- Pay off any remaining debt
- Don’t forget the important paperwork!
- Request copies of medical documents from doctors, dentists.
- Request any copies of files from schools.
- Get police clearance certificate
- Purchase pounds for the trip
- Check visa, passport, and travel documents are all valid for the trip.
- Have at least 3 months bank statements
- Request no claims car insurance documents
- Request any up to date statements on pension and savings
- Update cv for the UK market
- Copy and certify any qualification papers
- Employment references
- Birth and marriage certificates
- Copy and scan photos
- Make backups from computers.